About Fashionscapes

There are certainly several reasons why I thought Fashionscapes would be the appropriate name for this site.

Reason number 1:

Fashionscapes, from the similar sounding word “Landscapes” wishes to share with you our analysis of what is going on in the ever changing fashion terrain. What’s in, what’s out, what goes well with what, are just some of the buzz words that you will find in this site.

Reason number 2:

Fashionscapes, may also be interpreted as the shortened version of the word “Fashion Escape”. We all know that in pursuit of being considered “fashionable” a lot has gone extreme without knowing that they have actually become fashion victims. While we will definitely be sharing about fashion trends, we will balance it out with some word of advice or caution so that you will not fall into the common fashion pitfalls.

As the word escape also connotes, Fashionscapes in my own term, could also just be as simple as "thinking out loud" of one's indulgent rumination of the world around us.

Reason number 3:

Lastly, Fashionscapes may also be interpreted from the word “Fashion Escapades”. Part of my job is to travel to various parts of the world either to attend trade shows, meet with clients and designers abroad or to source out new materials for our fashion accessories. It is during these travels that I would come across objet d’art and some rare fashion finds which I also wish to share with you through this site.

I hope that as you log on to this site, you will experience the same excitement I have with Fashionscapes!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Inspirations...

“What inspires you to create a design or to write about something?”

I’ve been asked this question countless times and while this seemed like a good question to ask somebody whose main source of livelihood depends heavily on art and creative work, my answer is actually not outstanding. In fact some would say, too generic.

My usual answer would be “anything”. This is not a conspiracy answer among artists, believe me, nor do I want to sound mysterious to haggle for attention. The truth is, as boring and as plain as it may sound, anything and everything inspires me.

There was a time in my teenage years when the confusion and struggles both in my school and family life prompted me to pour out my soul through my sketches. Sketches, doodles, scribbles… mostly incomprehensible - were my lifeline to sanity back then.

I remembered vaguely that I was vying for the top honors in school then and boy, people in the provinces, really takes these things so seriously. The teachers handling our class were torn between the two competing students. I remember one serious talk with one of my teacher-advisers as she detailed to me my class standing.

I garnered second in the end, but looking back, the lessons learned on struggles, survival, victories and losses are all so surreal --- worthy of a local FAMAS Award. Now if only I can get Judy Ann Santos to play my role.

Then at another time and place, one evening, heavy with my first child, I just could not get myself to sleep. Perhaps it was some crazy hormonal imbalance kicking, I found myself turning and tossing, feeling so depressed and for no reason at all.

To get me occupied and quell the strong urge to bother anyone else (poor husband!), I found myself painting in acrylic this serene and peaceful picture of a blue house. I finished this “master piece” at 4 am. I guess that was my own artistic way of pacifying the turmoil raging inside of me. I am proud to say that aside from the big heavy eye bags, and the sore achy back, no other collateral damage had been done.

When my two boys were aged 3 and 5, I considered that to be by far, the most chaotic family situation we ever had. I found solace in the scrapbooks and journals, and of little “Dear Khalil” and “Dear Karlo” notes I neatly compiled for my sons. Perhaps someday when they are old enough, they would understand through my own little chronicle of their adventures and mischief of just how uniquely special and wonderful both of them are.

In my career as fashion jewelry designer, some four years ago, I came across a client who brought us 3 pieces of designer necklaces and asked us to come up with 25 collections in one month. Our only inspirations were the 3 necklaces she left us. Talk about stress and pressure!

Pressed with a deadline, it’s amazing how much creative juices flow to come up with the most sought-after pieces. I have posted a picture of one of my favorite works borne out of that one-month creative sojourn.

So as if on cue, as if history is repeating itself, here I am again, faced with a 2 month deadline to come up with 45 collections of designer pieces to showcase in one of the major fashion jewelry tradeshows.

My inspirations for this gynormous endeavor? ….I am not looking far…I’d like to share with you some snap shots of the corner stone of my collection….my kids artworks! It’s unrestrained, unmindful, carefree, happy, expressive, head turning, and one that simply calls for attention, just exactly what I want our next collection to be.




Overall, I must say that my creative output is very much influenced by my state of mind, emotions, life situation, and maturity as an artist. And oh, I must include my understanding of my client’s needs and goals.

Nowadays, I don’t see myself doing childish doodles anymore, but like exactly what I am doing right now, writing this blog, announcing to the world just where I am and what I feel…

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is my favorite post so far! I love "My Blue House," it's very tranquil, very nice. Also love your kid's artworks! I can relate to the influences of your creative output... There is also grace...

    Good luck with the collection. I believe it's going to be great masterpieces! Happy and expressive, I love that. This is the state of my life as well. I used to be a sad lady, but now even in sickness, I rejoice! God is good. You are such a beautiful artist. Blessed to know you Ate Reyna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind and encouraging words marj! You inspire me too and make me strive to become better specially with my writing: ) I wish I can write as good as you, but then I realize GOD gives us different gifts : ) I continue to pray for your 1st book to be published soon...

    My boys are showing good creative potentials and I'm thankful that they too are able to express themselves through art. Khalil loves making "picture books" and puzzle mazes for Karlo. Karlo loves to draw cars and paint brightly colored animals and sceneries. He always has an explanation why he chose a certain color---like the orange zebra : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marj! by the way, when can I post your artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ate Reyns, thank you also for your encouragement and support, I appreciate it very much. I posted my very amateur artwork on my blog po. I really love your painting. :)

    ReplyDelete