About Fashionscapes

There are certainly several reasons why I thought Fashionscapes would be the appropriate name for this site.

Reason number 1:

Fashionscapes, from the similar sounding word “Landscapes” wishes to share with you our analysis of what is going on in the ever changing fashion terrain. What’s in, what’s out, what goes well with what, are just some of the buzz words that you will find in this site.

Reason number 2:

Fashionscapes, may also be interpreted as the shortened version of the word “Fashion Escape”. We all know that in pursuit of being considered “fashionable” a lot has gone extreme without knowing that they have actually become fashion victims. While we will definitely be sharing about fashion trends, we will balance it out with some word of advice or caution so that you will not fall into the common fashion pitfalls.

As the word escape also connotes, Fashionscapes in my own term, could also just be as simple as "thinking out loud" of one's indulgent rumination of the world around us.

Reason number 3:

Lastly, Fashionscapes may also be interpreted from the word “Fashion Escapades”. Part of my job is to travel to various parts of the world either to attend trade shows, meet with clients and designers abroad or to source out new materials for our fashion accessories. It is during these travels that I would come across objet d’art and some rare fashion finds which I also wish to share with you through this site.

I hope that as you log on to this site, you will experience the same excitement I have with Fashionscapes!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

FASHION RECESSION

These past weeks had been very busy for me. I met up with a lot of old friends. Most have come home to Cebu after years of living and working outside the country. Others just visited Cebu for vacation. There was a lot of getting together, catching up on each other’s lives, and trying to reconnect threads of yester years.

I may have overbooked myself that I am now afflicted with a terrible flu. Thank goodness though that it’s not the H1N1 type, just the more common type which one gets whenever we lack sleep and rest. This is quite a price to pay for a fledging social butterfly.

Anyway, after countless get together, I noticed that whenever I meet friends with whom I have not seen for quite a while, there are 3 questions that I can now expect to be asked.

First question-----How are you? Usually this includes my family too.

Second question----How’s business?

And third but not least---How’s the recession affecting fashion?

There are of course variations to these questions, but the theme is pretty much the same.

I also used to give varied answers depending on my state of mind that day, but as this had been asked of me countless times, quite automatically I’ve been noticing myself ready with repeated answers. Answers which are pretty much like the pre-programmed responses on answering machines which I just hope none of my friends have noticed.

So, to spill the beans, here are the million dollar answers to these questions…..

Question number 1: How are you?

My answer to question number one largely depends on the breakfast I ate that day and of which side of the bed I woke up with.

The answer varies from “Okay, I’m doing well” to “I’m doing great”. Because I believe in positive thinking and of self-prophecy (one tends to act out what he or she earlier predicted or declared), I seldom give a negative answer.

There are days though when I really do feel terrible and in such rare instance, I would most likely just say “Okay ra”.

I believe that no matter how we feel or what our state of mind is, we still have a lot of blessings to be thankful for. It is just but right to focus on the positive rather than the negative.

Question number 2: How’s business?

Well, quite emphatically, I would answer that “Business is fine and only because of God’s grace” and that’s the undeniable truth.

Most business people veer away from the discussion of GOD. I once had been interviewed by a famous local business magazine and the writer who later became a very good friend of mine, once told me that she cannot put too much emphasis on GOD’s miracles in our business. As she is writing for a business magazine, she needs to write about clear and tangible business practices which led to our success.

While I know she and the magazine she works for, meant well. I cannot quite discount the fact, that apart from GOD, we really cannot do anything. Our company started really small, a measly sum of P200,000. This amount is really nothing considering that we put up a manufacturing company targeting the mid to high end market. At that time, no bank would grant us a loan as we have nothing to use as collateral.

That was 7 years ago and while the company is not immune to financial strains, to reach this far is a simple miracle. A grace and favor from GOD.

Now on the third question….

Question no. 3: How is the recession affecting fashion?

Well, this is a bit harder to answer.

For one, unlike food, shelter, or clothing, fashion accessories are definitely not on everyone’s priority list. In fact, this is usually at the bottommost.

For a fashion accessory company like ours, to maintain operations and grow sales when most companies are closing, is really a daunting task.

However it is good to keep in mind that while global economy might be depressed, the fashion accessory industry still remains to be a multi-billion business. While some companies and buyers may want to shift businesses at this time, a lot are actually sticking it out. A lot are riding the tide.

Quite amazingly, in our case, a few of our buyers have actually expanded their fashion accessory businesses.

What’s the secret? Well, I believe that the secret is no secret at all. The company who has expanded their business has gotten a good pulse of the business landscape. For fashion jewelry, it’s literally going back to basics. Classic, timeless, elegant, fashion items that doesn’t go out of style and those that offers great value for money are topping the chart.

This is the very same niche that our international brand IMPRESSIONE and local brand ARTIZANS have comfortably settled in for many years now.

I’ve been accused of shamelessly tooting our own horn when promoting our fashion jewelry line and yes, I agree that I do. We do however, walk our talk.

I am just thankful that we made a decision many years back to work on various themes as part of our design philosophy, one which includes the Classics as the biggest and most important among our design themes.

Not only do we develop designs that doesn’t go out of style, but we also make sure that we incorporate materials whose value by itself will certainly increase with the passage of time.

You will find a lot of IMPRESSIONE and ARTIZANS pieces infused with semi-precious stones, fresh water pearls, swarovski crystals and lots more.

ARTIZANS fashion accessory pieces may be had for a reasonable price. An earring for instance, would cost as little as P280 and already using these materials. I think that’s truly value for money!

So, how is the current global economic crisis affecting the fashion industry business?

I really cannot speak for the entire industry, but for the company I work for, it is good.

When most people are struggling to keep ends meet, it’s certainly unwise to invest in disposable fashion items. Classic jewelry pieces made of value added materials is the way to go.

If you are to shop for fashion jewelry as a fashion statement piece, a gift or simply to reward one self, I hope you can consider my 2-cents worth. Shop wisely everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Timeless is the way to go! Your works are true art pieces -- beautiful, high quality and lasting. How blessed are we that you offer it to us at such a reasonable price!

    I believe that heaven favors the classic, ones that have a lasting quality to them. This is true also for music, film and literature. I am blessed to own some of your art pieces.

    Continue creating beauty and giving glory to God through your masterpieces which in turn reflects His beauty -- timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marj,

    Comments like this really inspires us…thank you very much!
    Up until recently though, there’s really just very little promotion for our products, mainly because the priority has always been the export market.
    Retail sales and marketing has not been our greatest strengths.
    Hence, very little people know of how special and unique are designs and products are.

    ADORA in Greenbelt 5 exclusively carries our international brand IMPRESSIONE though and we are just thrilled with the feedback we are getting.

    One of necklaces was worn by Ms. Georgina Wilson at the front cover of Rogue Magazine May 2009 edition. Our minaudieres was also featured in the front cover of Metro Mag last Nov. 2009. And just recently, I had an interview with Silk Air for their in-flight magazine feature. All these are free promotions!

    We are just so amazed with all of these favors from GOD! We give Him all the glory!

    ReplyDelete