About Fashionscapes

There are certainly several reasons why I thought Fashionscapes would be the appropriate name for this site.

Reason number 1:

Fashionscapes, from the similar sounding word “Landscapes” wishes to share with you our analysis of what is going on in the ever changing fashion terrain. What’s in, what’s out, what goes well with what, are just some of the buzz words that you will find in this site.

Reason number 2:

Fashionscapes, may also be interpreted as the shortened version of the word “Fashion Escape”. We all know that in pursuit of being considered “fashionable” a lot has gone extreme without knowing that they have actually become fashion victims. While we will definitely be sharing about fashion trends, we will balance it out with some word of advice or caution so that you will not fall into the common fashion pitfalls.

As the word escape also connotes, Fashionscapes in my own term, could also just be as simple as "thinking out loud" of one's indulgent rumination of the world around us.

Reason number 3:

Lastly, Fashionscapes may also be interpreted from the word “Fashion Escapades”. Part of my job is to travel to various parts of the world either to attend trade shows, meet with clients and designers abroad or to source out new materials for our fashion accessories. It is during these travels that I would come across objet d’art and some rare fashion finds which I also wish to share with you through this site.

I hope that as you log on to this site, you will experience the same excitement I have with Fashionscapes!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Price Surprise from a Manufacturer’s Point of View





Part 1

My instinct for self preservation must be in full gear as I keep hearing the word “the bearer of bad news gets shot first” buzzing in my head repeatedly as I am putting my thoughts and feelings in my writing today.

Yesterday, I finally received the email coming from one of the buyers, our design team had spent months doing product development and tweaking the designs to come up with new collections specific to this buyer’s description and profile. This was the same buyer, who had asked us if our company can guarantee that we only supply nickel-free, lead-free and cadmium-free metal components and that all our resins are phthalate-free. The very same buyer who has asked us if our company practices fair trade and that if they can send an agent to inspect our factory, all of which we replied with a YES.

Portion of the email read like this…

”Thank you for your follow up and pictures; I really appreciate your help and responsiveness.  Actually, we have been rethinking our costs and this is the reason too why I needed more time to reply back. And unfortunately, we come to realize that we can not make the items at the costs you have be feasible for us. I know that you have really tried hard to address the cost issue many times. But some of our vendors have responded to us with almost a third of your costs and so maybe your company is just too expensive for us, and maybe rightfully so as you have nice items but we just can not make it work for us.”

There is nothing wrong with this email, and being in the fashion jewelry manufacturing business for 13 years now, this is also not my first time to encounter such type of client.

What irked me though is that, right at the onset of this engagement, I have asked this client the following standard questions which would guide us as designer and manufacturer to come up with specific items to fit their requirements:

             1.) What sort of items are you looking for in terms of design, materials and colors?

             2.) Which season will you be launching the collections? Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter? Are the items for day or evening wear?

            3.) Who is your target market for these designs? Are you positioning the items for low end, mid end or high end market?
            
                 And last but not least,

            4.) What is your maximum target price point for the items (necklace, bracelet, earring etc) you are inquiring from us?

We were told that they wanted to launch items made of fresh water pearls which can be mixed with any other materials. Target price for a necklace should not be more than USD 10 and the bracelets and earrings are expected to be much less. Likewise, we were also told that we can offer any designs whether it is for evening or day wear, as long as it is based around these parameters. The client also showed us some photos to give us an idea on what sort of designs they are looking for.

The next weeks were followed with several emails to the client containing images of our designs carefully selected based on their guidelines.  The client promptly replied positively and has in fact picked a few pieces from the images sent, then came the silence for the next 2 weeks. The silence was then followed by the bomb… the most recent email, excerpts of which I have posted earlier.

Now, injustice assumes so many faces and forms. I think this is one of it.

One of the biggest fears of designers is to have their designs copied and manufactured elsewhere without any hint of recognition from the consumer who the real owner of the creative work. The fashion industry is incestuous this way and surprise, surprise, it’s not just the small players who does this. Big players and big brands do this too… why else do you think lawsuits concerning infringement of designs are always in season?

Now, back to this client, I have yet to reply to the email and I have a few thoughts of what and how to reply to her.

Option 1: I can reply negatively and tell her exactly how unfair she is. After all, we have laboriously complied with all that was required from us.

Option 2: I could politely reply and say, “thank you we understand” and move on.

Option 3: I could explain to her what makes our items priced the way it is and why it is not “a third” of the price we quoted.

Option 4: I could ignore and pretend I did not receive her email.

Believe me; I am tempted to go for option 1. I think that even if I lash out, it would still be a justified anger.

But, that’s not who I am as a person and it serves me no other purpose than venting out negative thoughts and feelings. I think I deserve better than filling my day with negativity. Besides, the optimist inside me cannot help but look forward to the brighter side of things.

For instance, there is a big difference in price with seemingly similar looking components. A brass-based metal chain versus an iron-based metal chain of the same design would look exactly the same when both are electroplated with the same plating color. However, brass-based chains are priced five times more than iron-based chains. Why? Well, brass does not corrode and rust while iron does. Most iron based components contain nickel too. Fashion jewelry made of copper or brass based chains or other metal components last longer, safer and do not smell. They stay longer on the shelves and definitely consumers would be able to repeatedly wear and enjoy the fashion piece.

Now don’t get me wrong, there is a market for iron-based components---stylish, cheap and disposable fashion jewelry will never ran out of avid fans. However, as a designer and manufacturer, we also have the option to choose what sort of product comes out from our factory and which market will these products be intended for. Options, it simply is one of my favorite words.

So, my final reply to this client? Oh I don’t know, I’m still weighing my options actually.

Despite the injustice in this world, the universe has its way of balancing out. I still believe in reaping what you sow and I simply trust that this client will know soon enough how wrong it was that she let us slip off her grasp.

That’s me talking, venting out in my writing, dusting off with my head held high, back standing straight and feet planted firmly on the ground…. peace!

How about you? Have you encountered similar incidents with your clients?

On my next article, I’d like to share how and when I think it’s okay for a buyer to say NO because of price issue. Talk to you soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment