About Fashionscapes

There are certainly several reasons why I thought Fashionscapes would be the appropriate name for this site.

Reason number 1:

Fashionscapes, from the similar sounding word “Landscapes” wishes to share with you our analysis of what is going on in the ever changing fashion terrain. What’s in, what’s out, what goes well with what, are just some of the buzz words that you will find in this site.

Reason number 2:

Fashionscapes, may also be interpreted as the shortened version of the word “Fashion Escape”. We all know that in pursuit of being considered “fashionable” a lot has gone extreme without knowing that they have actually become fashion victims. While we will definitely be sharing about fashion trends, we will balance it out with some word of advice or caution so that you will not fall into the common fashion pitfalls.

As the word escape also connotes, Fashionscapes in my own term, could also just be as simple as "thinking out loud" of one's indulgent rumination of the world around us.

Reason number 3:

Lastly, Fashionscapes may also be interpreted from the word “Fashion Escapades”. Part of my job is to travel to various parts of the world either to attend trade shows, meet with clients and designers abroad or to source out new materials for our fashion accessories. It is during these travels that I would come across objet d’art and some rare fashion finds which I also wish to share with you through this site.

I hope that as you log on to this site, you will experience the same excitement I have with Fashionscapes!

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Life lesson from unlikely source...mumps

I am currently down with high fever and parotid glands swelling due to mumps.

Mumps is a viral disease characterized by fever, headache, muscle weakness, stiff neck, loss of appetite, swelling and tenderness of one or more of the salivary glands situated along the angle of the jaw and inside the mouth, including the parotid gland located within the cheeks just below the front of the ear. (http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/communicable/mumps/fact_sheet.htm)

Mumps is a horrible, horrible viral infection one can have. Not only do I have to contend with the warm, tender and throbbing pains on my parotids but that it also comes with various with aches all over the body. I never felt my back ache as much before and my muscles got this weariness almost similar to when you have over exercised the day before. It’s a horrible feeling at all.

My mumps couldn’t have been timelier. We had a fashion show at Fashion Avenue last night which I have to miss. My cousins had a mini reunion last night too as one arrived from Dubai , 2 arrived from Mindanao and 2 others, graduated from College. The happy reunion with several fun things we could have done was replaced by a quiet dinner at home while I am seated far enough from everyone else wearing mask. I was very hesitant comes picture taking time as I really do not want to document my bloated face. So big, I can now imagine how I might look like if I gain 100 pounds more….its certainly not a sight to behold. Ugggh!

Funny that I actually thought of wearing big baggy clothes with probably some pillows underneath and meet up with some close friends just to see if they’d recognize me. All planning and no actual rendition though as the body ache is just so persistent, I am better off vegetating in bed. Ice packs and paracetamols are my current best friends.

As a designer and head of a design team, to be on top of my game, I make it a point that I study current and up and coming fashion trends at least 15 to 30 minutes a day. Since this mumps appeared, I am just totally uninspired. Nothing ticks, nothing jumps from the various photos and write ups I’ve been reading….just nothing. I cannot even summon myself to write something about fashion (so now you have to contend with my whining). It really is a horrible feeling to be in.

Anyway, if there’s anything good that came out of the mumps, that is, I was forced to stay home.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I do love staying home. I love to tend to my garden, to do art activities with my boys, to cook unusual meals etc. However, lately, I’ve just been too busy at work. This past weeks, my day comprise of a quick breakfast, short interaction with the kid, rush to work. And then at the end of the day, it’s picking up kids from school, quick dinner, a few emails then sleep. Most part of my day is just in the office and my work load just keeps piling up. They don’t seem to run out at all.

Well, considering the global economic crisis where various fashion companies are affected, we have nothing short of a miracle in the office with orders coming in almost in a daily basis. While companies have complain of no orders and of losing the market to cheap China prices, we actually have buyers who are putting in much of their business with the company I work for instead of spreading their orders over a number of suppliers. It really is a good place to be in, in business.

In sales and marketing, it is considered good if you have consistent flow of work and YES, I and the company I work for is very thankful for all these blessings. But being consistently busy has its way of creeping up and taking away intangible things too.

I have noticed the overgrowth of the weeds in my garden and the decay of some plants. I have seen our bamboo decorative fences fall off one by one, next thing I knew, we now have this big heap needing real carpenters to put back. I heard my youngest complain, “You are always busy, can you just spend the whole day with me”.

Now that I am forced to stay home because of mumps, my little boy has no compunction coming in and out of my room despite repeated warning that mommy is infectious. Fortunately, being a nurse and after my own research, I learned that masks can sufficiently protect from the transfer of virus and that the MMR (mumps, measles and rubella) vaccine shots that my children received can protect them too.

In life, we all should take some pockets of time to rest without waiting for the situation to force us into it. Being a health buff and believer of homeopathic therapy, I boast of not being susceptible to diseases. However, being too busy, stressed out, lacking enough rest and sleep, did lower my body’s defense system and guess what, made me vulnerable to mumps.

Nothing is beautiful about mumps, I still wouldn’t wish for any one to have it, not even to my worse enemy. But in a lot of ways, it has taught me a lot about creating a balance, of being thankful for the gift of health and of life, and to give importance to the little other personal things that matters too. Be well!

1 comment:

  1. hope you get well soon. take care ate reyna. yup,may you find that elusive balance.God be with you always. love, marj

    ReplyDelete